Questions about HAZMAT Surveys

I’m staring a renovation project and am not sure if there are hazardous materials present, what should I do?

Please do not start your project without consulting a qualified person to complete a hazardous materials survey, this is mandatory and regulated by Worksafe BC.

I have started my renovation project and have found asbestos?

Please stop all work, clear the area, and call a qualified person to assess risk, they will perform a hazmat survey of the area for potential asbestos containing material and have  samples analysed for asbestos, lead, or other materials at an accredited lab.

My home was built after 1990 so there is there no risk of exposure?

Occasionally asbestos containing materials have been found in structures built after 1990 and ideally we would recommend a survey for buildings built before 2000, but if your home or business was built before Dec 31 1990 it is a requirement to have a survey completed before work begins. If you suspect asbestos containing materials to be present in your post 1990 constructed home please call us to assess and collect samples before any work begins.

I’m moving my home and only require a survey of the basement can you assist?

We recommend a survey of the entire home with abatement to follow, in the move process there is risk that any hazardous materials not removed may contaminate the home.

I’m only renovating my kitchen or bathroom does a survey of the whole home need to be completed?

No, a hazmat survey can be customized to the scope of work for your renovation project (to include any areas that will be disturbed by the work) and we will specify the area of the survey in our report.

How much does a survey cost?

The size of the building, age, past renovations, timeline (re lab rush costs) will dictate the total survey costs, we simply charge time and materials (average range is $250 – $550) for the inspection and report plus the cost of lab analysis which is based on the number of samples required (average range $100 – $500).

Should I be concerned about the exterior of my home containing hazardous materials? Roof etc?

Yes, in some cases home exteriors may be ‘containing’. Disturbance can contaminate an entire neighborhood if proper abatement procedures are not followed.

Should I take my own samples?

No, only qualified individuals should collect samples to ensure relevant sample material is obtained and to avoid potential exposure, precautions must be taken even during sampling. There is a complex process that consults use to determine the number of samples(functional areas), which materials need to be sampled as well as where specifically the sample needs to taken from.

How do I know if there are hazardous materials present?

Only a laboratory analysis by a certified laboratory will determine if hazardous materials are found and if they present a health hazard to you.

What should I do If I need to have hazardous materials removed?

Please call or email ( Canadian Haz-Mat Environmental at 250-891-8611 or another qualified specialist.