How to Research and Validate your Asbestos Abatement Contractor:
- Check to see if they are COR Certified?
Search to see if they have a Certificate of Recognition (COR) from WorksafeBC? Search Here
- Search for previous penalties – WorkSafeBC – Search Here
Administrative penalties are fines imposed on employers for health and safety violations of the Workers Compensation Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation, and/or orders of WorkSafeBC, and for failure to take sufficient precautions to prevent workplace injuries or illnesses. Penalties are published as a deterrent and to highlight the importance of making workplaces safe.
- Check a companies clearance status with WorkSafeBC prior to work start
Search for any business registered with WorkSafeBC and view its clearance status.
- Confirm their level of Liability Insurance (typically a minimum of 5 million), and if they have Professional Errors and Omissions Insurance?
- How long have they been in business?
- Consultants (Start here – they collect samples for testing and create detailed reports – Hazmat Surveys)
collect samples, assess the work area to create a hazmat survey (site assessment) report. Ensure there is a third party type separation between your Consultant and contractor (ie they are not the same company)
- Asbestos Abatement Contractors (Do the work)
Get pricing from different contractors for the project, use the tools below to help select a contractor, also ask the third party consultants for contractor recommendations as they work with all of these companies.
Asbestos Removal Licensing
BC does not currently have Certification/Licensing for Asbestos Contractors. They are currently putting an Asbestos Certification Model in place. See news/updates: